Our History

  • 1959  -  Church began at Annual Conference.  Rev. Lester P. Jackson appointed by Bishop Paul N. Garber.  Sunday School and Worship held in the rented parsonage at 1606 Adams Street.  The 35-member congregation moved into the renovated residence on West Nash Street in October, which served as the first home of West Nash United Methodist Church.
  • 1960  -  Charter membership was 77 on April 10, 1960 at which time election of officers was part of the formal establishment of West Nash Methodist Church.  A parsonage located on Corbett Avenue was purchased in June, 1960.
  • 1961  - The congregation endorsed plans for a sanctuary December 8, 1961.  Rev James H. Bailey was minister from 1961 - 1965.
  • 1962  -  July 22 sanctuary groundbreaking cermemonies were held.
  • 1963  -  February 24 congregation met in new sanctuary for worship.  June 2 was the formal opening.
  • 1965  -  Parsonage sold in the spring and a new and larger parsonage located at 1105 Knollwood Drive purchased.  Rev Carlton F. Hirschi, Sr. was appointed minister from 1965 - 1968.
  • 1968  -  Rev. Lawrence E. Lugar was minister from 1968 to 1972.
  • 1972  -  Final payment on sanctuary made in the spring of 1972.  Dedication of santuary on May 28, 1972.  Rev Pearce H. Layfield, Jr., was pastor from June, 1972 until his death December 20, 1976.  Rev Walter McDonald, Professor at Louisburg College, served during the interim period until June 1977.
  • 1974  -  In May a new building campaign for the construction of an education building was launched.
  • 1975  -  Destruction of the residence which had served as an education building was begun February 5.  Groundbreaking ceremonies were held March 2.  Congregation began using the new facility November.
  • 1976  -  A consecration was held January 1976 for the new educational building.
  • 1977 -  Rev. Bruce D. Taylor minister until 1983.
  • 1983  -  Rev. R. Harry Jordan minister until his retirment June 1988.
  • 1989  -  Additional Braswell property purchased for rental purpose.  In the fall, a sanctuary refurbishing program was begun.
  • 1991  -  Construction was started in February at which time the balcony was completed and stained glass windows installed, along with other renovations to the santuary.  May 19, dedication service in refurbished santuary.  Rev Curtis W. Campbell minister until 1996.
  • 1996  -  Rev. Susan Pate Greenwood minister until June 1999.
  • 1999  -  Rev. Dr. Arthur Wall began as minister June 1999.
  • 2000  -  Rev Dale Curtis, associate Pastor, started August.
  • 2001  -  Rev Dan Earnhardt began as minister June 2001.
  • 2001  -  Storage building renovated to serve as a Youth Center to include a gym area, lounge/activity area, office with internet connection, his and her bathrooms, washer and dryer, ice machine, and full service kitchen.  The building wil be generator-ready and will be used as a Disaster Relief Center if needed.
  • 2004 - Rev Hope Vickers began as minister June 2004 following Rev. Earnhardt's retirement.
  • 2005 - West Nash Pre-School Program
  • 2006 - First International Missionary Trip - Costa Rica in June
  • 2007 - Rev William Holliday began as minister June 2007.
  • 2014 - New Window in Sanctuary installed April 2014
  • 2014 - New Bus purchased for congregation June 2014
  • 2014 - Rev Stuart Milton began as minister July 2014
  • 2016 - On-Line & Electronic Giving (July)
  • 2017 - Rev Tuck Taylor began as minister July 2017